Carbon monoxide, CO for short, is a poisonous gas that can neither be seen, tasted nor smelled. The gas is dangerous when combustion processes take place in closed rooms and the exhaust gases cannot be properly discharged. Sources of danger in the household are, for example, fireplaces, inadequately maintained or defective gas boilers, heating systems or a backflow of exhaust gases due to blocked exhaust and supply air passages. Carbon monoxide can cause unconsciousness within a few breaths and, in the worst case, death by suffocation - without us noticing.
This is what sufferers suspect is behind carbon monoxide poisoning
Those affected continue to breathe without discomfort and usually do not notice anything apart from non-specific symptoms. Some suspect that they are coming down with the flu or a cold, or that they have eaten something bad. That is why they usually do not see a doctor.
These can be symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning
- General malaise
- Irritability, confusion
- Headache, dizziness
- Shortness of breath, cramps
- In the course of the poisoning, lips and cheeks turn distinctly red.
- Unconsciousness often occurs later
What to do if Co2 poisoning is suspected?
- If possible: Switch off the appliance
- Leave the room immediately - it is best to go out into the fresh air
- Call the fire brigade and the ambulance